Out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Tracy Fuller has left Toronto to seek her fortune abroad. She will be recording her travels here. If you're interested, read all about it. Otherwise just scroll down for some pretty pictures.

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Pride and Pointlessness

Today I was asked to discuss Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice with my most advanced conversation class. In case you're unaware, P&P (as it is respectfully referred to by those of us who've read the book and/or watched the BBC mini-series more than 5 times) is THE BOOK that changed my reading life. It was the first book I ever "fell in love with" and it was my favorite book for a very long time.

Some might consider the opportunity to share their latent literary love with others a fantastic break. Being paid for the chance might seem like a dream come true. For me, however, I knew it was going to be trouble the moment the assignment arrived on my desk. Love can make one very particular about the object of their affection. Perhaps a bit protective. Remember: these are ESL students. They're our brightest ESL students, but the oldest of them isn't yet 16 years old, and as brilliant as I would have you believe me to be, I certainly didn't catch every wry witticism Jane pulled out of her hat the first time I read the novel -- and English is my first language! Having to explain, translate, summarize and simplify every theme, character, progression and conflict will end up killing both P&P and me. Yes, I am irrationally irritated. I know I'm an ESL teacher. But I don't enjoy stripping the wonder from my one-time-favorite novel just for the sake of some silly speaking competition. I just don't want to do it.

Today I attempted to explain what "sarcasm" is and how it can be detected within written discourses. We then discussed what "pride" and "prejudice" are and where they can be found in the novel. We spent 15 minutes decoding the novel's first sentence alone. June is going to be a long, long month. Poor Jane is probably rolling over in her grave. R.I.P&P.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home