Out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Tracy Fuller has left Toronto to seek her fortune abroad. She will be recording her travels here. If you're interested, read all about it. Otherwise just scroll down for some pretty pictures.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Tae Kwon Go GO GO!!!!

Oops! I totally neglected to tell you: I finally hunted down a Tae Kwon Do academy close to my place of work, that accommodates my CRAZY schedule, last Tuesday. The Master was very kind: he finally agreed to take me on after I stood in his office for about 15 minutes mumbling the words "Tae Kwon Do," "Me," and "Joo-say-oh" (which is: "I would like" in Korean) incessantly and refusing to leave his office until he indicated some sort of confirmation. In the end he bade me to return this Monday, Wednesday, Friday at 11am ready to practice (I think).

So started my tri-weekly classes this morning. I walked into the Do-Jan, nervously-excited to begin, only to discover that along with being the only foreigner in the class, I am the only girl and I am the only person over 12 years old. So I have become the entertainer of the class: flailing my long limbs around without any comprehensible instruction while the 8 year olds kick and punch circles around me. My one advantage is that I can do cartwheels better than any of the boys (a skill which seem utterly unrelated to the art of whoopin' some major ass -- Korean style, but hey -- I'll take what I can get).

Is it strange that I felt a rush of elated superiority when I realized I could execute a cartwheel better than a whole room of young boys? Wouldn't you feel the same way? Well... Ok, maybe not... However, the Master did approach me after class to shake my hand and (seemingly) congratulate me for not dying of embarrassment. I'm hoping Wednesday will bring more instruction and less youthful, high-pitched laughter. I'll keep you updated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home