Out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Tracy Fuller has left Toronto to seek her fortune abroad. She will be recording her travels here. If you're interested, read all about it. Otherwise just scroll down for some pretty pictures.

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

To be or not to be ... social

It's a strange thing to be in living in a foreign country, away from all family, friends, loved ones and enemies. There is a need, on one hand, to forge instantaneous, informal and indistinct relationships with whomsoever crosses one's path; but there is also a desire to sideline oneself and find better uses for one's new-found solitude. It that depressive? I don't think so. How many of us have been silently wishing for some REAL free time over the past, say, 8 years? Well now I've got it, and I don't really want to waste it or spend it doing meaningless things. Doing so, however, is much easier said than done when it all comes down to it.

So here I am: about to lose the roommate that was here when I arrived -- about to be thrown into the real sink-or-swim society of Mokpo's English-speaking population. How do I feel? Resentful that I will have to start making an effort. Annoyed that I will start worrying about being "accepted" in this miniature village of misplaced persons. Concerned what will happen. What people will think if I don't make the effort to "get involved"? Sure this all sounds stupid and petty but in the grand scheme of things one year is not very long, and knowing me I will throw myself into "too much stuff" unless I really start thinking seriously about my choices. And in this microcosm that includes chosing or avoiding people. So I'm in inter-personal limbo. Self-inflicted, no doubt. But limbo nonetheless.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ddot the King said...

This is my first time here. Why are you in S. Korea in the first place?

4:06 a.m., December 16, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey love,
You've got a strong spirit, remember why you embarked on this journey. More for yourself than for towing the 'party' line. I just pity those people who find out who you are, and then never get to know you the way we do.
Happy New Year by the way!
(I'm at Gerstein...just trying to make you nostalgic)

12:53 a.m., January 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home