Out of the frying pan and into the fire!

Tracy Fuller has left Toronto to seek her fortune abroad. She will be recording her travels here. If you're interested, read all about it. Otherwise just scroll down for some pretty pictures.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

No-Go for Togo

South Korea has just won their first World Cup match against Togo 2:1. It was actually a very exciting game, and since none of my students showed up for their 9:20pm - 11:00pm class I was permitted to leave work early to join the masses in the local park, where hundreds of "Red Devils" had congregated to watch the game on a big screen in the open air. A drunk reveler took it upon himself to locate a single seat for me amidst the masses and furnish me with some blow-up batons so that I might cheer and support along with the rest of the crowd. IT was quite charming, although he did smell like he just walked out of a brewery. It really was the thought that counted. Everyone around me also took me under their wings, appreciating my Team Korea jersey and my obvious interest in the game. I was hugged, given popcorn and cotton candy, and slapped on the back numerous times: congratulating me for my interest. (All this came after I clarified that I'm not an American, of course. "Waygook"= Foreigner (neutral), "Meegook"= American (derogative).)

The game finished at midnight and I doubt there will be an end to the horn-honking and shouting for at least a few hours. Nevertheless I will attempt to sleep. This may prove to be a very exciting time to be in Korea. Let's all hope that Korea continues to perform well, shall we? Yes, we shall.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home